When you have a family-related legal problem, it’s natural to feel confused, anxious, or frustrated. The law is complicated, which is why advice from an Indianapolis divorce attorney is crucial.
Things To Consider Before You File for Divorce
When considering filing for divorce, a spouse should make sure that he or she has considered a few items. Choosing an attorney makes sense even if you think your case will settle quickly or there is no way you can ever need one – you should reconsider. In the course of a divorce, clients often face unexpected conflicts. Indianapolis divorce lawyers who understand your specific circumstances and the facts surrounding your case are to your greatest advantage and benefit.
A Settlement is Almost Certain
While every Indianapolis divorce is different and some may even have to go to litigation if it is that contentious, almost all divorce cases result in a settlement agreement. This is most beneficial to all parties involved as it is more efficient and cost-effective.
Understand the Financial Situation
Especially when it comes to property division, having a clear understanding of where your assets and debts are before divorce proceedings start is very important. Even if you trust your spouse and believe things are amicable it is always better to be safe than sorry. There are situations of hidden assets — don’t let that be yours.
A credit score is a key to any person’s financial future. Your spouse’s credit score will no longer be yours to latch onto. Make sure that you have a good credit score or start building toward a better one immediately.
Consider Your Living Arrangements
While you should stay in your marital home until any decisions are actually made, it is a good idea to at least start thinking about where you would live if you do end up having to sell the marital home or move elsewhere.
The following list provides more information about some of the issues that arise during the course of a divorce:
- Annulment: An annulment is a means of ending a marriage other than by divorce for those who wish to do so in a peaceful way. In Indiana, marriages can be annulled under certain circumstances.
- Divorce for men: Many men who have gone through a divorce feel that they are at a disadvantage or will somehow be prejudiced by the court because of their gender. Our lawyers have the experience required to stand up for your rights.
- Divorce for women: Women often have different divorce goals than men. We tend to represent women who are concerned about protecting their families and their futures.
- In Indiana, there is no no-fault divorce. A divorce can be obtained on any number of grounds. Often, social media accounts contain evidence of infidelity that can have a major impact on the outcome of a divorce.
- By utilizing private investigators, you can conduct research on your spouse’s behavior. Often, divorce lawyers provide their clients’ cases and defend their interests with the help of private investigators. Depending on the content of social media, we can also provide advice on how the outcome of the divorce can be affected.
- Standing orders in divorce: When you file for divorce in Indiana, the court will issue automatic domestic standing orders that will apply to you and your spouse for as long as your case is pending.
- Divorce with international elements: Whether your divorce involves jurisdictional conflicts or international child custody concerns, find an Indianapolis divorce attorney that can help.
If You Need an Indianapolis Divorce Attorney
If you need an Indianapolis divorce attorney, just perform a search for a “divorce attorney near me“, or “Indianapolis divorce attorneys“, and that will help connect you with a skilled divorce attorney right away!